Learn about process manufacturing concepts that are used in manufacturing and development processes to improve efficiency.
Should you be a business owner of your company that manufactures products for customers, you should ask yourself a couple of questions “Is my manufacturing process delivering at its optimum?”, “Can I improve my manufacturing process to make it more effective?”
If you answer negatively for the first and affirmatively for the second question, it is time that you implement process manufacturing techniques in your manufacturing processes.
What do process manufacturing techniques do?
Process Manufacturing techniques work on the simple concept of integrating all the tools, machines, and resources to optimize the efficiency of the manufacturing processes. Automation is an integral aspect of process manufacturing with many applications built for specific purposes.
ERP software is one application that ensures that process manufacturing is achieved by means of automation.
What are the benefits of process manufacturing?
- Reduces Inventory – Inventory is one of the reasons why production processes slow down. Process Manufacturing techniques like Lean Manufacturing employ different tools to ensure that the Inventory is reduced to a bare minimum.
- This ensures that the manufacturing processes work out of required materials for the manufacturing processes with unwanted materials not finding a place.
- Reduces Lead time – Process Manufacturing techniques also advocate a smooth flow of information between different stages of the production cycle ensuring less probability of errors in subsequent stages of production and a reduction in lead time.
- All this leads nicely to the manufacturing processes to achieve shorter production times.
- Shorter Production Cycles – Every manufacturing process aims to produce an ‘x’ quantity of a product within a time constraint. A company’s capability to do this consistently holds it in good stead with its customers.
- A company can achieve this by shortening the production cycle time. Considering that this has to be implemented with minimal impact on quality, process manufacturing techniques are implemented.
- Automation – This is an inherent feature of almost all process manufacturing techniques. Integrating manufacturing processes ensure that the chances of errors due to human intervention are minimized.
- With automation contributing directly to lessening the administrative and information-sharing workload, most companies consider automation as their strategic objective to process manufacturing.
What are the challenges to process manufacturing?
Benefits aside, there are many challenges to implementing process manufacturing techniques in an organization. Firstly, the business owner must do well to manage the change without impacting the performance of the manufacturing process.
Remember, process manufacturing techniques may re-engineer the manufacturing processes. If the re-engineering is not managed by the business owner, it may result in a lot of employee dissatisfaction. Secondly, process manufacturing techniques are not immune to uncontrollable changes.
This means that human intervention at some stage of the manufacturing process is inevitable.
If you weigh the benefits and the challenges of process manufacturing, you will observe that numerically and qualitatively, process manufacturing rules. It is this balancing act that companies cash on to make their manufacturing processes more effective.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Scott Elliott